The Teacher of Merit Award is presented by the History Department of Missouri State University and the Sons of the American Revolution each year to an outstanding High School and Middle School Teacher who has participated in the National History Day at MSU program. The award amount is $100.00.
Teacher Merit Awards
To be eligible, a teacher must have participated in the National History Day program at Missouri State University and show:
Development and use of creative teaching methods that interest students in history and help them make exciting discoveries about the past. Examples could include:
- Active learning projects, such as mock debates or oral history projects;
- Innovative use of primary sources;
- Integrated communication technology in history research and classroom learning;
- Teaching methods which link history to students’ broader interests (e.g., using interdisciplinary approaches to historical topics or by developing projects which link history to current events, debates, and issues); or
- The use of teaching methods which build a range of skills in students as they study history.
Exemplary commitment to helping students develop their interest in history and recognize their achievements. Examples could include:
- Exemplary support and guidance for students working on History Day projects;
- Assistance in helping students showcase their history projects within the community and/or publish their material;
- Overall commitment to the intellectual development of individual students; or
- Encouragement of students to use their understanding of history to become engaged, informed citizens in their community and beyond.
Teachers can self-nominate or be nominated. To apply, you can mail or email your application materials to National History Day in Missouri Region VII coordinator post marked by no later than January 25th, 2019. Please provide the following:
- A current resume.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation in support of the nomination.
- One letter should address the criteria provided above and be written by those who know the nominee well and can give specific examples of excellence in history teaching.
- One letter should address the criteria provided above and be written by a student or group of students of the nominee.
The NHD in Missouri Region VII coordinator will forward materials on to the Award Committee at the History Department of Missouri State University. Application materials can be sent either via post or e-mail.
Missouri State University
Department of History
901 S. National Avenue
Springfield, Missouri 65897