Dr. Brooks R. Blevins
Missouri State University
901 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65897
- Ph.D., History, 1999, Auburn University
- M.A., History, 1996, Auburn University
- B.A., History, 1992, Lyon College
- OZK 150: Introduction to Ozarks Studies
- HST 121: History of the United States to 1877
- HST 375: The Ozarks in American History
- HST 720: American History Readings Seminar
- HST 725: The Upland South (Appalachia and the Ozarks
- HST 730: American History Research Seminar
- ENG 376: Literature of the Ozarks
- A History of the Ozarks, Vol. 1: The Old Ozarks (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2018).
- Ghost of the Ozarks: Murder and Memory in the Upland South, (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2012).
- Arkansas/Arkansaw: How Bear Hunters, Hillbillies, and Good Ol' Boys Defined a State (Fayetteville: University of Arkansas, 2009).
- Lyon College, 1872-2002: The Perseverance and Promise of an Arkansas College (Fayetteville: University of Arkansas, 2003).
- Hill Folks: A History of Arkansas Ozarkers and Their Image (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina, 2002).
- Cattle in the Cotton Fields: A History of Cattle Raising in Alabama (Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 1998).
- Arkansas Historical Quarterly: editorial board member
- Missouri Conference on History: steering committee member
- Missouri Historical Review: editorial board member
- Southern Historical Association
Research and professional interests
- History of the U.S. South, especially the Ozarks and Appalachia
- Publishing books and articles on the Ozarks and the South
Awards and honors
- Violet B. Gingles Award for the best essay on an Arkansas history topic, Arkansas Historical Association, 2018
- Susie G. Pryor Award ("The Ordinary Days of Extraordinary Minnie"), Arkansas Women’s History Institute, 2015
- John G. Ragsdale Book Award (Ghost of the Ozarks), Arkansas Historical Association, 2013
- Arkansiana Award in nonfiction (Arkansas/Arkansaw), Arkansas Library Association, 2011
- John G. Ragsdale Book Award (Arkansas/Arkansaw), Arkansas Historical Association, 2011
- Book of the Year Award (Arkansas/Arkansaw), Missouri Conference on History, 2010
- Outstanding Academic Title (Arkansas/Arkansaw), Choice Reviews Online, 2010
- Distinguished Alumnus, Lyon College, 2010
- Finalist, ForeWord Book of the Year Award, Regional Category (Arkansas/Arkansaw), 2009